Approach & Instruments: How do we Evaluate?
Approach to Evaluations for Quality Assurance and Quality Enhancement of Teaching and Learning According to ESG (Type 1)
The procedure for these evaluations is standardised and is conform the typical procedural steps and elements that are also used for accreditation or certification of educational programmes or of quality management in educational institutions. Typically, these procedures consist of the following steps:
Determining the subject of the evaluation and choosing the external quality criteria as evaluation standards (that indirectly reflect the ESG)
Internal self-evaluation of the client including the self-evaluation report
External evaluation by experts, including relevant stakeholders in learning and teaching
Documenting the examination process and evaluation results based on the selected external quality criteria.
Presenting the evaluation report to the client and publication
The Type 1 evaluations take into account the European Standards and Guidelines of the European Higher Education Area (ESG). With this, certain procedural elements are pre-defined, like for instance:
- Using the ESG directly or indirectly as part of the evaluation criteria;
- Including the relevant stakeholders in the audit team (i.a. students, teachers, industry);
- Publishing the evaluation report
Approach to Evaluations for Quality and Organisational Development (Type 2)
This evaluation type is characterised by the free choice of appropriate procedural elements, that are customised for goal and purpose of the planned evaluation and for the documentation of the evaluation subject.
We roughly work with the following phases in each evaluation project. They can be designed in various ways, also with varying degrees of involvement from the client or from us:
Defining the subject of evaluation, design of the procedure with degrees of involvement, examination grid (evaluation criteria, key questions, possibly indicators and typical evidence)
Implementation of the examination grid:
- Internal self-evaluation by the client
- External evaluation by external experts
Documentation of the examination procedure and evaluation results based on the examination grid
Deriving subsequent measures, either internally by the client or with external support
The Toolbox and Procedural Support
The “toolbox” of combined elements of the procedure for Type 2 evaluations consists of:
- Workshops for all phases: contract clarification with development of the examination grid, examination with all evaluation procedures, documentation and follow-up
- Audits in the examination phase by internal and external experts, whose profile is optimal for conducting the evaluation, audit in a written procedure, site-visit audits at the client’s location.
- Additional examinations e.g. surveys, document analyses in the examination phase
- Documentation and Visualisation in all phases
These procedural elements are logically combined by our consistent support, that covers the conceptual as well as the organisational guidance of all phases, and also coordinates the involvement of all participants in the evaluation procedure.