Management of Subjects: Leading Faculties/Subject Areas/Programmes and Institutes (Module NF)
This workshop is suitable for you, when you are a researcher and have been elected for a leadership position and when you would like to receive inspiration for organising this task.
This workshop is also suitable for you when you are already employed as a dean or manager of a subject area or programme. You think that academic management should be differently organised from business management and would like to hear how other colleagues perform this task.
This workshop is therefore aimed at participants with a research background who hold a leadership position in research management and self-governance or would like to/will hold one in the future.
Not only will the interests be taken into account of those that “only” take over such a task next to their main teaching and research activities, but also of those who decide on a full-time career in research management.
Leading to what?
These are the learning outcomes that we would like to reach with you…
- You are able to estimate the management requirements of leadership in the context of higher education and know the relevant leadership instruments.
- You have fundamental knowledge of staff management and staff motivation and their characteristics specific for higher education.
- You are able to position yourself in the intersection between teaching, research and management and are able to appropriately consider and balance the interests of the relevant stakeholders.
- You are capable of dealing with your role as leader and can find the right role division between you and teachers, researchers, institutional management, management staff and students.
- You reflect on your experiences in your position, deal with necessary changes and are able to actively shape the leadership position from the start.
- You develop points of reference for your personal career in science management
- Basic information on science management and the management of organisational units within higher education institutions
- Overview of procedures and tasks within a teaching/research unit
- Overview of basic human resource management and personnel management, insight in instruments for human resources development at higher education institutions
- Chairing expert panels and meetings, leadership of groups, team leadership
- Communicative competences and soft skills
- Various leadership styles and their appropriateness for the position
- Self management and time management
- To do’s and no go’s in a leadership position
- Moderated exchange of experiences between experienced and “new” colleagues, room for reflection of personal experiences and your own personal questions on the subject of leadership
This workshop is aimed at participants in the academic field, who either already have a leadership position in the faculty/subject area or who will do so in the future, and who have the desire to focus on their leadership role and its implications. This workshop appeals to the management of faculties, subject areas, degree programmes or institutes and other institutions, and possibly the management of staff and scientific teams.
Chair, Input and Moderator
Dr. Sabina Fleitmann is a member of the ASIIN Consult competence team and independent organisational consultant for higher education institutions and associations. She advises on strategic organisational development and on expert panels and human resources management as well as on implementing concepts of “good teaching”. She also offers seminars and workshops on these topics. She combines her competence in organisational development and teaching with numerous practical experiences in higher education and associations:
As part of a teacher training programme, she worked as a lecturer, teacher in Bachelor and Master degree programmes and as seminar chair for many years. She has also contributed to the conceptualisation of new degree programmes also in MINT-subjects, and focuses on active and interactive teaching and learning. Moreover, she worked as a personal advisor and press secretary for the president of a higher education institution for Music.
For years, she has implemented competence in leadership and practical organisational development in various positions in cultural management and being active as a general manager of a professional association. As general manager, she has participated in accreditation procedures from the perspective of an external professional practitioner.
We combine elements of presentation and training as well as discussions and jointly work on case studies from the daily practice of the participants. We aim for interactive work with the “right” mix of professional input, moderating and interaction, while building on your experience for the mutual benefit of all participants.
The workshop chair gladly uses case studies and questions from your industry in the preparation of the workshop.
When and Where?
The workshop can be booked as an exclusive in-house event. Duration, location and date will be chosen based on your needs. Please contact Dr. Iring Wasser. (firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel. +49 211 900977-10).
The costs will be calculated based on duration and number of participants.
Dr. Iring Wasser, email@example.com; Tel. +49 211 900977-10
ASIIN Consult GmbH
Mörsenbroicher Weg 200